Everyone should have a list of personal and professional mantras. Quotes and thoughts that connect with the inner essence of who we are as persons and professionals. Something to remind ourselves regularly. Like at the end of such a year, 2020.
This is my list of thoughts and quotes that represent my key Leadership Mantras.
1. If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail. Heraclitus.
2. Far and away the best price that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. Theodore Roosevelt.
3. The definitive job of great leaders is to dignify and honor the lives of their people, enabling them to express all their potential at work
4. A clear vision of the future must include an emotionally rewarding cause that is able to inspire and motivate your team.
5. Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. George Bernard Show.
6. Cultivate the Talent
- Insist on clear and public commitments
- Celebrate success publicly.
- Over Communicate your vision and broader company goals
- Have zero tolerance for marginal attitudes.
- Always be hiring.
7. Don’t forget the time for you. Once a year you should take a real vacation
8. The Operative System of Leadership: How-to-work-with-me guide
All leaders should write a guide to working with them to share with their teams. What do I want to be involved in? When do I want to hear from you? What are my preferred communication modes? What makes me impatient? Don’t surprise me with XX.
You just need two document. “This is where we’re going long term. And on a quarterly basis, this is where we’re focusing. We’re hoping to move X and Y metrics”. High growth Handbook by Elad Gil
9. Rules are still important
The analogy I drew was to games, or sports. I said: “You know why playing a game is fun? Because it has rules, and you have a way to win. Picture a bunch of people showing up at some athletic field with random equipment and no rules. People are going to get hurt. You don’t know what you are playing for, you don’t know how to win, you don’t know how to score, and you don’t know what the objectives are.” Elad Gil.
10. Four secrets for a great relation: (a) keep your promises, (b) listen carefully, (c) always be compassionate, (d) tell the truth.
11. To capture the hearts of your people, stop listening with the intention of answering. What you need to do is listening with the intention of understanding.
12. About the best leaders, when their job is finished, people will say: “ We have done it”. Ancient oriental proverb.
13. Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime. Lao Tzu.
14. Leaders don’t lead companies or people. They lead and inspire attitudes.
15. Focus on valuable things. The secret of doing things lies in knowing what not to do.
16. See what we all see, think what no one thinks.
If you enjoyed this post, you will also like 7 Mantras for Recurring Revenue and The World is SaaSing Up in All Industries.
Featured image by Polina Kovaleva on Pexels.com